Not long after Carmen Farina was appointed as school chancellor in 2014, she noticed that while schools were equipped with technology few teachers were using it to transform teaching and learning. The problem started two years prior when the U.S. Department of Education has failed to reauthorize funding to enhance education through technology so in http://hibbydabby.blogspot.com /2012/06/students-empower-each-other-their.html" style="text-decoration: none;"> August 2012 ed tech offices in all five boroughs of New York City were shut down as the funding ran dry. The Ed Tech Director and staff developer positions across the city were eliminated. It’s no surprise that a few years later the lack of support was evident in classrooms.
- You can read more about the program http://hibbydabby.blogspot.com /2014/06/collaboration-between-companies-school.html" style="text-decoration: none;"> here.
- IPPD Video: https://vimeo.com/110824915
Problem - Innovative Educators Work in Isolation
- You can read more about the how the community came about http://hibbydabby.blogspot.com /2016/10/social-media-becomes-key-to-forming.html" style="text-decoration: none;">here.
- You can read what community members feel about the program here.
- The guidelines, along with student materials and parent and teacher guides are available at Schools.nyc.gov/socialmedia.
- You can read about how we engaged in the participatory design process http://hibbydabby.blogspot.com /2016/03/incorporating-student-voices-with.html" style="text-decoration: none;"> here.