After this update the software version will upgrade to G920TUVU4EPF1 in Galaxy S6 and G925TUVU4EPF1 in S6 Edge. You shouldn't ignore this update because it contains the June security patch for your Galaxy devices. An android security patch fixes harmful vulnerabilities that can infect your phone. Recently http://hibbydabby.blogspot.com /2016/06/godless-malware-is-infecting-android-os-how-to-secure.html" target="_blank">Godless Malware has been reported in phones running android 5.1 or below. An android security patch fixes these vulnerabilities.
However if you still haven't received the update notification on your phone then you can use our manual tutorial. We will be using odin to install the android 6.0.1 firmware with June security patch on T-Mobile Galaxy S6 and S6 Edge.
Note: If you have received the OTA notification then there is absolutely no need to follow this tutorial.
Before You BeginPlease note that the manual update tutorial is same for both the phones. So it doesn't matter which T-Mobile Galaxy device you have. You just have to download the right firmware for installing on your phone.
- This is an official upgrade tutorial so you won't loose any data. But backing up your data entirely is a very good idea.
- Charge your phone to at least 60%.
- Remove any SDcard from the device.
- Remove any Google account from the settings menu.
- Enable 'USB Debugging' from 'Developer Options'.
- Do not hard reset your phone when there exists a Google account on it. Doing so will trigger Factory Reset Protection.
- Before following this tutorial please read about http://hibbydabby.blogspot.com /2015/12/what-is-factory-reset-protection-google-72-hour-lockout-android-lollipop.html" target="_blank">Factory Reset Protection.
- If you haven't read about FRP in the above step then do not follow this tutorial, otherwise your Galaxy S6 and S6 Edge will be locked. Then don't blame us.
- Samsung USB drivers
- Odin v3.11
- T-Mobile Galaxy S6 G920TUVU4EPF1 firmware - Download
- T-Mobile Galaxy S6 Edge G925TUVU4EPF1 firmware - Download
Update T-Mobile Galaxy S6 And Galaxy S6 Edge To Android 6.0.1 With Latest Security Patch
- Download and install Samsung USB drivers.
- Download and extract odin to your computer's desktop.
- Download the appropriate firmware for your T-Mobile Galaxy S6 and S6 Edge from above links.
- Extract the firmware file in a new folder on desktop. This file has a size more than 1 GB and has an extension of tar.md5. Never rename this file otherwise odin will not recognize it.
- Switch off your Samsung Galaxy S6 and boot into download mode by pressing 'home', 'power' and 'volume down' button at the same time.
- When the phone vibrates release the buttons.
- A warning sign will appear. Press volume up button to continue.
- Now launch odin.exe on your PC and connect your Samsung Galaxy device.
- Odin will show a recognition message in the 'Log' and <ID:COM> will turn blue.
- Now click 'AP' and grab the appropriate firmware file.
- Let odin finish some checks.
- When you see these messages in the 'Log' tab "<OSM> Checking MD5 finished Sucessfully" and "<OSM> Leave CS". Then click the 'Start' button to start the update process.
- Let the update process to finish. It may take few minutes.
- A message will be displayed as 'PASS' in odin when the update process completes.
- Now disconnect the phone and switch it ON.
- Your phone may take longer to boot to home screen.
- Finally when you see the home screen you can add a Google account and a fingerprint to take control of your phone.
You have successfully updated your T-Mobile Galaxy S6 and S6 Edge to android 6.0.1 Marshmallow with latest June 2016 security patch.