However, there is no need to wait for the official OTA notification. You can manually install the official update to your T-Mobile Galaxy S5 by using ODIN. Odin is an official update tool developed by Samsung for android phone. It is used for installing official firmware to Samsung android cell phones.
- Backup entire data stored on the phone like photos, files, call logs, messages, WhatsApp chats.
- Charge your phone to at least 70 percent.
- Remove any Google account associated with the phone from 'Settings'.
- Enable 'USB Debugging' in 'Developer Options' settings.
Warning: Never hard reset your phone when there exists a Google account on it. If you do this then factory reset protection will be triggered and your Galaxy S5 will be locked for 3 days. After 3 days you will need to enter the login details of previously synced Google account. Failing to do so will result in a permanently locked phone. So be on a safe side and before following this tutorial remove your Google account from android "Settings>Accounts". Read more about http://hibbydabby.blogspot.com /2015/12/what-is-factory-reset-protection-google-72-hour-lockout-android-lollipop.html" target="_blank">factory reset protection.
If you do not follow the above steps then please do not apply this tutorial or otherwise you may end up with a locked phone. Also, this tutorial can only be applied on T-Mobile Samsung S5 model number SM-G900T3 only. Any other variant is not supported and will result in a bricked phone.
Manually Update T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S5 SM-G900T3 To Official Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow
- Download and install Samsung USB drivers.
- Download the Galaxy S5 ROM and extract the file on desktop.
- The file has an extension like tar.md5 and has a size more than 1 GB. Do not rename this file otherwise it will become invalid in odin.
- Also download odin and extract the exe file on desktop.
- Switch off your phone and boot in to download mode by pressing 'power', 'home' and 'volume down' button at same time.
- Release the button when the phone vibrates.
- Press the volume up button when a warning sign appears on the screen.
- Open odin.exe and connect the phone to PC via a USB cable.
- Let odin recognize your phone.
- On recognition it will display "<ID:0/004>Added". The field under "ID:COM" will turn blue.
- This indicates that your phone is ready for an update.
- Now click the 'Options' tab and check only 'Auto Reboot' and 'F. Reset Time' are checked and all other options should be unchecked.
- Now click the 'AP' button and grab the update file having tar.md5 extension.
- Wait for few seconds.
- When you see these messages in the 'Log' tab "<OSM> Checking MD5 finished Sucessfully" and "<OSM> Leave CS". Then click the 'Start' button to start the update process.
- Wait for few minutes.
- When the phone is updated then odin will show a message as 'PASS'.
- You can disconnect the phone and boot it up to see the new installed android OS.
- The initial boot may take longer to show home screen.
- After home screen appears you can setup your T-Mobile Galaxy S5 again and add a Google account.
However it may happen that your T-Mobile Galaxy S5 may get stuck at the Samsung boot logo. If this happens then you need to hard reset your phone. Follow the steps below.
- Switch off the phone.
- Now boot into recovery mode by pressing 'home', 'power' and 'volume up' button at the same time.
- Find 'Wipe Data/Factory Reset'. Use volume buttons to move up or down. Press home button to select an option.
- Also 'Wipe Cache Partition'.
- Finally reboot from recovery mode.
You have finally updated your T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S5 SM-G900T3 to official android 6.0.1 Marshmallow by using odin.